Stand on Grace, walk by Faith, Live in Love, Grace and Peace be your in abundance. 1 Peter 1:2

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Jamtland Journey

This is the group photo from our reunion July 15.  We had some very good food and visit with relatives.  As always you don't always get around to everyone and wish for more visits later on.  I hope to hear from everyone at some point in time.  Perhaps I can glean more family stories!
The next day we headed to hammarstrand.  Just like Hollywood they have their name on the hillside.  It's very beautiful here and I have distinguished old swedish photos I own to the very places I am visiting.  It's quite moving.  
Looking east of the home and getting a view of the hills and landscape of where the home of our Great Grandparents lived.
Green beans and morning glories grown on vertical poles.
The back side of the home place.  It wasn't two stories we were told and doors and windows have been changed.  The original is the lower part of the building.  
The story goes that in Alvdalen the land that was given to our Great [Great] Grandfather was so poor that he could not provide a living for the family here.  He became depressed and had to make a change.  He moved to Hammarstrand.  

It's days later and I feel like I need to verify these stories.  Was it Graf Per Olsson and Christina Lars Dotter who made the move or was it Karl Olof Olsson and Margareta Persdotter?   My Grandfather was born in Ragunda.  

Photo above is the group that traveled to Kullsta an area in Hammarstrand.  
The view once again facing east of the first homestead in Hammarstrand.  [ Again, not sure, but there are three names of the area.  Kullsta, Ragunda of Hammarstrand ]  I hope some cousins will comment and correct my entries!!
A favorite sign of ours!!  
I took my swedish photo book uptown to copy it for my trip to Sweden.  I wanted to find someone who can name some of the photos I treasure.  I met Hilda and Elin and we spent a good hour reviewing and writing names down under the photos.  Just one named photo was important to me and Hild and Elin could name a few!!  This book even got Lars' attention.  He realized I have his Grandfather's letters copied in this book!!  He especially loved the family photo I had.  He wants the photo.  
My cousins soaking up sunshine where ever we go!!  
Kryka in Ragunda  {Church}
I asked about the boats that hang in the churches but I didn't get a satisfactory answer.  It was given to them [as a gift].  The other Kryka's had a ship hanging as well.
1699 it reads.
We went into the "office" where the keepers of the records and cemetery are and we asked to locate where Graf Per Olsson and Christina Lars Dotter were buried.  We found the area and there are no markers and perhaps because they had a wooden cross and they eventually deteriate and nothing else takes it's place.  The man in the "office" said that the husband and wife are not side by side at burial because you are buried as you die in a row with others.  So, we found the plot number area but no marker.
Hammarstrands river use to be up to the church in some century.  I didn't pay attention to when.  But then the valley across the river wouldn't have been.???
Now we cross back over the river to see the homestead area that my Grandfather was born.
This is said to be the house.  They built onto to original home but we stood and took photos of the land.
The view of "Elephant Mountain"  This too a image I am familiar with from my Grandpa's pictures.  But I realize he probably didn't have this etched in his memory as he was just a boy of  7 or 8 when he left.  Only post cards and letters were his memory of his birth land.  He grew up in America and never returned to Sweden. 
Lisa [Elisabeth]  This is my favorite photo!!  Now if only I could speak swedish!! If only I could stay in Hammarstrand for a week or so.  If only I could hear the stories ...their stories.  
Swea.  I am not sure but I think these two are sisters and live with their brother, Toge.  
This is the highlight for me.  The family, the land, the history.  I have to come back!!

1 comment:

joanpunky1 said...

you have really packed in alot of travels! I'm so very happy for you, Carla! you look tired in your pictures. are you getting ANY sleep?? lol! I know. the time flies and so much to see and do-
how many thousands of pictures have you taken?? have a great time and enjoy!! now, how many albums are you going to need?????
miss you!!!